Modern history can trace the settlement of Durrington back to the Dooms Day Book of 1087. Prior to the Norman Conquest Durrington along with other villages in Wiltshire had been managed by a thane named Harding but post conquest Earl Alberic was in control.
By 1200 the village was split with East End Manor becoming the property of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury and West End Manor became the possession of the family De Nevill with attachment in time to Amesbury Abbey and Winchester Collage. The land was tenanted to local farmers and remained so for many hundreds of years until the Army took over Salisbury Plain as a training ground Although large areas of the village and its surrounding land were sold by auction in 1921, Winchester College and the Chapter of Salisbury still retain ownership of relatively small pockets of land within the village boundary. The other big landowner with land right up to the boundary is the Ministry of Defence.
At the registration of the first poll tax in 1377 Durrington was one of the largest villages of its hundred with 139 tax payers. At a similar census in 1901 the population had steadily increased to 427. However with the military taking over Salisbury Plain as a training area in the early 1900’s there was a rapid increase in the population not only of Durrington but of Larkhill. At the last census of 1991 Durrington village had a population of 6926, which was greater than the town of Amesbury.
Prior to the start of the 20th Century Larkhill was all agricultural land with isolated farm buildings. However once Salisbury Plain was obtained for military training many changes have taken place.
Maps of Durrington in 1839 and 2000